Two servicemen of the Nagorno-Karabakh defense army were wounded by Azerbaijani fire on October 5 on the combat positions of the Yeghnikner military unit deployed in the north of NKR, Lilit Galstyan, a relative of another soldier serving at the same unit, told Epress.am Friday. She added that the soldiers, one of them a native of Armenia’s Lori province Sargis Harutyunyan, were wounded in the legs.
“We spent all day yesterday trying to call our kid, but he was unreachable. I finally managed to get in touch with the head of intelligence of the unit and he said they did indeed have two wounded who were being treated in a hospital,” Galstyan said.
When contacted by an Epress.am reporter for additional comment, spokesman for the NKR defense army Senor Hasratyan denied the information, saying; “We would have reported it if something like that had happened.”
On October 6, the Azerbaijani defense ministry reported about the death of soldier Sahil Mamedov “as a result of Armenian fire,” failing however, to specify where the alleged incident had occurred. Military authorities in Stepanakert denied the report on the same day, insisting that “Azerbaijan has recently begun violating the ceasefire more intensively along the line of contact, using not only small-caliber arms, but also machine guns and long-range sniper rifles.”
Furthermore, the press service of the NKR defense ministry issued a statement on Friday morning to inform that Hayk Hambardzumyan, a 20-year-old soldier of a southern military unit, had been wounded “by enemy fire” the previous night on the contact life of Azerbaijani and NKR armed forces.